MLTL speakers with Jordan JX92 – part III – finishing touches

Two years after the beginning of my MLTL speakers project with Jordan JX92 it has finally come to an end. I made some finishing touches but nothing significant. The speakers now are freshly painted, has new spikes and second pair of terminals are added for choice of connection schemes. The photos following show the finished speakers.

Unlike assembly I decided not to paint the boxes myself, because I am not good at this. For this purpose I trusted automobile painter, bought some good quality paint and waited for the result. Unfortunately it turned out that my choice of color looks different from the sample and the speakers were hard to look at. On the second attempt things got better. With minimal notes on the paint job because of the lack of a special painting room that keeps dust away, the result is pleasing to the eye. I put adjustable metal spikes with black chrome color. The brand is Monacor, and the price affordable.

Tuning is to add two more terminals on the rear panel. With their help, various ways of connecting the speakers are possible. At first glance it looks like a typical configuration for bi-wiring, but the scheme is in fact different. Lower two terminals open the circuit between low-pass filter and positive terminal of the full range JX92. This is why they are bridged in the photo. The upper two terminals are input to filters. When connected like in the photo speakers work in two-way mode. If the connection to full range speaker is removed, the signal can be routed directly to it, and the tweeter remains disconnected. This way only the full range JX92 can be listened to without any filtering. Since the signal cable connectors allow daisy chaining, it is possible to connect tweeter together with non filtered JX92, thus reinforcing high frequencies without limiting full range driver. Additionally I will try two resistor values ​​in high frequency filter, as the high frequencies seem to me a bit weaker than necessary, but I do not trust the available equipment for measuring bandwidth close to 20kHz. When I finish with these attempts, the finished speakers will be finally assembled using threadlocker to avoid unwanted loosening by vibration. I will also install insulation under all drivers to seal maximum the boxes.

I put an end to this long project, and looking forward to ideas for the next adventure.

Your comment:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s